Every month we’ll be rounding up some can’t miss online resources from the wide world of teen services and beyond. Here’s what we’ve been reading in August:
At WebJunction, Miriam Medow shares details and lessons learned about her Talking with Kids about Race and Racism at Oakland Public Library program.
Karen Jensen at Teen Librarian Toolbox writes about Things I Never Learned in Library School: Wrestling with Pronouns and some of the trickier considerations when dealing with teens and privacy in a public library.
And on a similar note, Amanda MacGregor, also at Teen Librarian Toolbox, shares some great resources on How to support and respect LGBTQIA+ students in school and library setttings.
Sarah at zen & the art of teen services writes about some of the Frustration she feels about dealing with the tough realities of her teens’ lives.
Joanna Nelson Rendón shares some of the ways her library approaches Tough Topics for Teens at Public Libraries Online.
At Public Libraries Online, Theresa Horn offers Five Tips for Planning Teen Spaces.
Mahnaz Dar recaps SLJTeen Live!: Panels on College Readiness; Snapchat, Instagram 101 for School Library Journal.
If you’re looking for ways to shake up your teen volunteer program, Alison McCarty writes about how Summer Volunteer Squad Offers Creative Options at Public Libraries Online.
At Mrs. ReaderPants, Leigh Collazo has lots of great advice for school librarians: In Charge of a Library Computer Lab?: 22 Tips to Save Your Sanity and New school librarian? 10 things you should do first….
We’ve got a couple maker space posts for you this month: Seven Surprising Benefits of Maker Spaces by at School Library Journal and Turning the Teen Room Into a Makerspace: Month 1 by Dawn Abron at Teen Services Depot.
The YALSAblog has a great series called Back to (After) School with all kinds of practical tips for after school programming in public library spaces:
- Community Service for Preteens by Maeve Dodds
- Pathways to College and Career Readiness by Linda W Braun
- Rethinking a School Book Club by Lisa Castellano
- Building a Positive Environment with a Library Afterschool Crowd – Part 1 by Kylie Peters
And as always, a parcel of programming posts:
- Making Music With littleBits™ by Mary Glendening at Ideas & Inspiration from Demco
- Summer Smoothie Smash by Lonna Vines at Programming Librarian
- This is What Happened When We Held a Pokemon Go Program at the Library by Karen Jensen at Teen Librarian Toolbox
- Middle School YA Zine Project Makes Kids the Bosses by Mica S. Johnson at School Library Journal
- Library PokeNight by Michelle Ross at another library blog
- Teen Program: Minute to Win It by Jenni Frenchman at from the Biblio Files
- MakerSpace: Tech Take Apart by Karen Jensen Teen Librarian Toolbox
What have you read this month that’s been insightful, inspirational, or just plain interesting? Share in the comments!